rena's retail adventure

on the road to having a real live storefront, and what she found there.

11.11.2005

visitors

today i wrote about the good kind of visitors on the other blog, here i will write about the bad sort. well, not bad, but weird. a man came bursting in with maybe a 12 year old boy behind him. he walks right up to me and starts asking for money for his family, his baby etc, he has a laminated card that says 'i have no job, i am hungry'.

now, being panhandled on the street is one thing. i don't even think the NY ones are as aggressive as in SF. but when someone is entering my space, where i am generally by myself, well, i get a bit nervous. especially considering the approach (walking straight up to me and getting in my face) which the average person entering the store doesn't do. i am getting used to it (lots of characters like to chat w/ the shopkeeper, evidently) but it tweaks out my comfort level, definitely.

one of the aforementioned characters, Jack, even suggested that i put a buzzer on the door to let people in. i really don't want to do that. we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home